The Worst of Opie (2006-2009)
The Early Years
- One of seven children, he has 5 brothers and one sister.
- Was almost named Frederick Wilfred Hughes III (revealed on the FM portion of the show - 2007-11-02)
- His family did not have a lot of money, but they managed to scrape by.
- He often went to school with his lunch in an old concrete bag or a Waldbaum's grocery bag. Which he had to bring home to make covers for his school books.
- Has shared stories of the infamous "Margarine sandwiches" that his grandmother used to feed him made of white bread, margarine, and sugar
- His family tried to pass themselves off as a church in an effort to save money.
- Once ran up into a tree when his parents tried to talk about sex with him.
- Got the nickname "Opie" at the age of 12, due to his uncanny resemblence to Opie Taylor from The Andy Griffith Show.
Before the Laughter
- Has worked for 3 "Home of Rock" radio stations.
- While working for "The Fox" 103.3 in Buffalo (now "The Edge"), he was almost fired for playing The Rolling Stones' "Star Star" in its entirety.
- A female caller requested the song during the "Pick your Stones Weekend", and Opie played it, having never heard it before.
- The only reason he wasn't fired was because he was able to convince the station general manager that he had never heard the song before, and had no idea what the lyrics were.
- Had an on-air character named Spuds Buckley which he is now embarassed by.
- Used to intro Stevie Ray Vaughan as "Stevie Ray Badass", and the Doobie Brothers with "They ain't related but they 'do be' brothers." (revealed on December 17, 2009)
- Eats a lot of fiber to stay regular
- Morning diet consists of steel cut oatmeal, bran, and a cereal mixture which can most accurately be described as "Twigs and Dirt Bombs"
- Only dumps every 2-3 days. He can make a roll of toilet paper last a month or more.
- Refuses to admit murdering a dog named Chester through a lethal kick to the liver.
- This alleged liver punt was in response to Chester eating Opie's prime rib dinner.
- Lived with Anthony's mother-in-law, Judy.
- Lived with Judy for WAY TOO LONG. Anthony actually moved out and Opie stayed for a few months after. He liked having his laundry done and having free food.
- According to Jimmy he has a delicious "V".
- Has had a number of "Near Gay Experiences":
- While living in Buffalo, a rapist broke into Opie's apartment while he was sleeping. The would-be attacker was standing in the bedroom, watching Opie and contemplating his next move, when Opie woke up and startled him. Opie had long blond hair in those days, and apparently the attacker had mistaken him for a woman.
- During his time at Geneseo College, Opie pledged to a fraternity; One of the hazing rituals involved dropping your pants, picking up a marshmallow between your buttcheeks, running across the room, and dropping the marshmallow on an effigy of a rival fraternity.
- One night while hanging at his apartment with his friend Jay to watch the Survivor finale, Opie decided to serve wine and cheese while they watched (little bit gay). He then decided to get more comfortable, so he changed into his peejays (more gay). Then he decided to try out the fireplace, and built a fire with a Java log (a coffee scented DuraFlame log) (mucho gay). The smoke began to back up into the apartment, and Opie tried to throw the log out the back door. However, it fell apart, and began to billow black smoke inside. Minutes later, there was a knock at the door, Jay answered, and the fire department rushed in all ready to battle a blaze. What they saw was Opie in his peejays, a bottle of wine and some cheese on the coffee table, and the burning Java log all over the place. Disgusted, the firemen said "Pack it up, we have a 10-23" (which is obviously code for a couple of shitdicks who don't know how to use a fireplace).
- Very interested in hearing "Buttery beats" after playing the game Lumines.
- Ordered a Bikinitini when out with his girlfriend and her family.
- Thought he was holding his girlfriend's hand after a ball game, but he was holding Danny's hand instead.
- Took a train ride with a bunch of homosexuals.
- Known for breaking things (a Rolling Stones pinball machine, Bernie Goetz's CD,Sandy Kane's guitar, etc.)
- Is an avid inline skater - he used to skate to and from the station almost every day. During the first broadcast on WNEW he told the audience a fictionalized account of a story that happened with "his Roller Blading buds" (who in fact, do not exist.)
- Has had more than the average dramatic run-ins with mice, narrowly escaping with his life on a few occasions. In order to take care of the problem, he turned his apartment into Mouseschwitz.
- Experienced an attempted home invasion by an golfer claiming to be delivering a pizza to his fancy apartment.
- Was technically homeless for a period of time when his apartment became flooded. He has since moved into a fancy new home.
- Is worshiped through the Church of Opie.
- Unlike the Church of Opie, there is a growing number of fans that hate Opie with a passion. Those who dislike him say he adds nothing, he's not funny and that the show would be better if it were only Anthony and Jim. On September 26th 2005, Opie, during the middle of a show, stopped working to show what it would be like if he wasn't there.
- Is very youthful for his age; this is evidenced in old show audio, where his voice sounds very high.
- A running gag on the show is his trying to pretend he's much younger than he actually is.
- Announced September 5, 2007 his engagement to his girlfriend of three years Lynsi. The ring was not presented in a Bikinitini. The two were married on November 22, 2008.
- Announced on February 24, 2010 that he was expecting his first child in April. His son Hudson was born on May 9 (Mother's Day).
- Announced on June 29, 2012 that he was expecting his second child and that it would be a girl. She was born on October 4, 2012. The 8th year anniversary of O&A being on satellite radio.
- Gets very emotional when somebody calls him by his real name.
- Tries to separate "Opie" from "Gregg Hughes, the actor who plays Opie".
- Tries to fit in with the brothas but fails miserably. He once tried to call a black guy "nigger" during a basketball game and got knocked out. He also tried using the slang term "cheddar" to be cool.
- Once owned a Pickled Punk that he thought was cursed, as he suffered a lot of bad luck when he possessed it. Once he got rid of it, his life turned around.
- Often does things that make him look stupid:
- Once read a story about an annoying bird called the Horned Screamer in what he thought was The New York Times. It turns out he read about it on a restaurant placemat.
- On September 29, 2009, while interviewing someone from the Rotten Tomatoes website, he asked if Larry the Cable Guy: Health Inspector was a sequel to Larry the Cable Guy, thinking of the Jim Carrey movie The Cable Guy (which had nothing to do with Larry).
- On October 9, 2009, during a serious political discussion between Anthony and Patrice Oneal, Opie compared President Barack Obama to Dave Thomas, the founder of Wendy's.
- Despite being considered stupid, among the three hosts of the show, he is the only one who graduated college.
- On June 5, 2009 he revealed to Anthony and Jimmy on air that he had a prostate cancer scare which was later revealed to be a benign lump. Only problem was he told everyone on twitter about it before telling Ant or Jim or his family.
- Opie hates vacuums as mentioned on April 4th, 2008. Fans used to call in and play sounds of vacuums to freak him out. Opie says it comes from his childhood. His mother would vacuum hours at a time often interrupting his TV watching.
- On November 7th, 2011 Opie predicted that Joe Frazier would die in a few days. He died the next day.
- Opie's son, Hudson, once threw his own shit at Opie's leg while he was on Twitter.
- For Hudson's birthday, Opie bought balloons. After everyone had relaxed, Opie noticed the balloons had gotten tangled together and looked like a pair of tits. He then got turned on by the thought of the balloons being breasts. (May 14th, 2012)
- On January 15, 2013, Opie was a guest on Joe Rogan's podcast. He was also buzzed throughout the whole thing thanks to Joe pressuring him into smoking weed. Opie says he only took a small hit, but did inhaled.
- "The Opster" is the man we hear on the radio. Gregg is the man outside of the radio and the nice guy.
- On the February 12, 2013th After Opie and Anthony Live, Opie was in an extremely good mood so he decided to start writing checks to anybody who came into the studio. Those who got checks were Erock, Sam, Travis, Mars, Roland, Troy, Sal, Fez and Ron and Fez producer, Pips. The O&A interns weren't listening and missed out. The checks were said to be very generous. Mars ran off with his check as soon as he could and came back to reveal that the check was indeed real. His good mood was thanks to playing a bunch of Michael McDonald on the show that day.
- Has a series called Opie's Elevator Show (February 21, 2013)
- Opie once jizzed in his pants while making out with a girl outside of a movie theater. He believes the girl was expecting more later on. (February 22, 2013)
- Opie appeared on the TBS show "Who Gets the Last Laugh?". It's a hidden camera comedy show where the goal is to pull the best joke on a person. Every episode, three comedians try to win. Opie's episode was the season 1 finale and he won.
- During the Opster in college years, Opie and his friends put together an air guitar band to get chicks. Opie was not good enough to be an air guitarist, so he settled for air keyboardist. (September 23, 2013)
- While a caller was explaining how the show helped him get through the death of his wife, Opie hung up on him and everyone proceeded to laugh and get extremely uncomfortable while picturing the guy crying in his truck on the highway. (January 17, 2014)
- Has mentioned multiple times about working with or having ties to the mafia.
Famous Opie Quotes and Catchphrases
- "Road Sodas" or "Wobbly Pop" - Other words for beer
- "NO YOU DI-INT!"
- "Awwww.... THAT'S ADORABLE!!"
- (Fake Crying) "Leave me (us) alone!!!"
- "We're artists." - Said during an interview with Bill O'Reilly.
- "Good luck bro." - Said to Peter Jennings as he was dying of cancer.
- "Do you know I could've been a model?!"
- "I'll have a bikinitini." - Said to a waiter while out eating with his girlfriend and her family.
- "I don't know, dickhead, 'cause I don't know what went on that day, fuckface!" - Said to Jim Norton during the Opie/Norton On-Air Argument.
- "I'm a black ninja, fuckface!"
- "Are you a cheesehead?"
- "Wow, who saw THIS coming?" - Often said at the beginning of an Ozone Midget Sighting.
- "The phones have exploded." - Said whenever there are a lot of callers calling into the show.
- "What do you like about the show?" - Often said to bait a caller before hanging up on them.
- "OBAMA!" - Shouted out whenever Opie wanted to bring up black Presidential candidate Barack Obama, as sort of a mock show of support. Because of Obama's stand on Don Imus' "nappy-headed hos" comment, in which he suggested Imus be fired, Opie said he would no longer shout out Obama's name; however, as the 2008 Presidential election approached, Opie had gone back to shouting "OBAMA!", much to Anthony's disgust.
- "The Chinese are coming."
- "Are you suggesting that we raise a generation of superkids?" - Frequently used to confuse a boring guest on the phone.
- "Fuck Jane Seymour!"
- "Brotherman" - A word Opie used during his WAAF days that he hoped would catch on with the public and become a catchphrase. It did not. It wasn't until O&A played shows from the WAAF days that the word finally caught on, albeit as a way to make fun of Opie.
- "Motherhucker" - See "Brotherman" above.
- "F' you, 'ABU! We hate you!" - A catchphrase Opie came up with during the war with WABU, during his and Anthony's time at WAAF.
- "In radio, your enemies become your friends, and your friends become your enemies." - Said when teasing that arch enemy Steve Kingston was coming to XM.
- "Take the wig." - Said right before Stalker Patti had her wig removed (which she wore after having her head shaved) by show staff members.
- "And then what happened?" - Often said after a caller tells a long, boring story.
- "Think about your family. Think about your friends. Think beyond the moment!" - Said during a demo tape Opie made early in his career.
- "Give yourself a bell!" - Said in a really annoying voice whenever someone guesses a question correctly.
- "YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!" - Said when Opie interviewed a lacrosse player on the old Real Rock TV show.
- "... As big as your imagination" - Opie's gay-ass description of how big sports stadiums are getting.
- "MULTI-MILLIONAIRE!" - audio from Match the Hatch 2 video. Said to obsessed, hater worker of the Roscoe Motel.
- "WA-WA-WA-WHAT!" - said while Ant was doing his Larry from the Three Stooges impersonation and saying the n-word (obviously censored).
- "I howled!"/"I was howling!"
Despite Opie's having gone to college and having been on radio for about two decades, Opie is known for mispronouncing quite a few words (though not nearly as many as Rich Vos has).
- Bubonic Plague (pronounced "Ebonic Plague")
- Cabernet (pronounced "cabaret" - June 28, 2010)
- Catastrophe (pronounced "cata-stroff")
- Charlie Sheen (pronounced "Sheehan")
- Contest pig (habitually says "concert pig")
- Eons (pronounced "enos")
- Epitome (pronounced "eppi-toam")
- Fugitive (pronounced "future-tive")
- Gigolo (pronounced the first "g" with a hard sound instead of a soft sound)
- Hand-me-downs (pronounced "handy-downs")
- Idiocy (pronounced "idocy")
- IMAX (pronounced "I-mac")
- Justine Bateman (Opie called her "Justin" Bateman and assumed it was her brother, Jason)
- Milk Ducts (pronounced "Milk ducks")
- Put (pronounced "but")
- Quatrains (pronounced "quadrants")
- Ratatouille (pronounced "Rata-tooley")
- Sarah Palin (pronounced "Pallin")
- Teleprompter (pronounced "Telecopter")
- Warren Beatty (pronounced "Warren Betty")
- Ice-T (Opie was so sure the rapper was Ice Cube he douchily over-enunciated "Cube" when inviting him into the studio)
All clips originally edited and uploaded to BiteMyTorrent by Rosiebun1
- Internet Archive HTML5 Uploader 1.6.3
Uploaded by Opie and Anthony Archive on